lunes, 18 de julio de 2011

Prejudging My Best Friend

It was January, 2009 and it was my first day in high school. I was super nervous that morning. I woke up earlier than what I had planned because for me high school was a new challenge. I mean, I was about to face new teachers, new uniforms, different classrooms and most important, new people that hopefully will become my friends.
I saw many unknown faces that morning, but everyone approached and introduced themselves very kindly. But it wasn’t until recess that I met someone that changed my way to see friendship.
“Hi my name is Cristian” he said with a very shy voice. I didn’t pay much attention to him because I thought he was going to be just like any other guy. The kind of guy that makes fun of others just for fun, or that enjoys drinking and smoking. The idea of becoming his friend never crossed my mind at that moment, because I was just thinking all the bad characteristics he might have. I just answered with an uninterested voice “Ah, nice to meet you”. That was the whole conversation, and since he didn’t say anything else, I just left with my friends. I never spoke to him again in the entire year because, for me, he wasn’t a big deal.
Last year I found out he was in my same classroom. I actually didn’t care, thinking he wasn’t going to change anything about my perception about him. Well, I was super wrong! My desk was right in front of his and we started talking and talking, until everyone was tired of hearing our voices and laughter. That day I regretted being so stupid the day I met him, I regretted a hundred times not taking the time to get to know him better at recess the first day of high school, because if I hadn’t judged him before I met him our friendship would’ve started before. The cool thing of our friendship is that, since then, it started really fast.  I remember saying to myself “Take it easy Mariana, you just met the guy”, but I couldn’t help it, I loved talking to him.
Today he is still one of my best friends and I am extremely grateful with God he sent me an angel like Cristian to be the light of my days and one of the main reasons they change from being bored to amazing. It is difficult for me to write about someone that special, especially when that someone cannot be described with simple words. I know he is human and he can’t be perfect, but he knows how to make his imperfections almost invisible.
I love the way we can talk about anything not even caring how ridiculous our conversation might be or what others think. When I am with him I actually feel safe, like if everything will be okay. The best thing about him is the way his whole face lights up when he smiles. I think that’s the main reason I keep saying funny things, so I can make that beautiful smile appear. I trust him completely. We know every way of making each other see how important we are. I remember being sad one day and he knew exactly what to do to make all my troubles vanish. Even though I love him, we fight a lot! We can fight about music, movies even food, but he is so sweet I can’t stay mad at him for too long.
I always say eyes are the windows of one’s heart and Cristian’s eyes are beautiful! I don’t mean only their color, but also, the sweet, soft expression they have. If you stare at them you really can  see kindness, sincerity and honesty. He is very unique and different from any other person I’ve ever met. His capacity of making everyone laugh and feel better about any pain they are dealing with, makes him the best candidate for a best friend. This for me is hard because everyone wants to be his friend and I tend to get jealous when he is not with me, but I understand he is free to have lots of friends so they can also share an amazing friendship with him as I do.
 I learned that prejudging Cris only made me lose many days of his friendship but I am  super happy I could fix that mistake. I have lived many experiences sharing friendship with others but becoming Cristian’s friend has been the best. Every day I learn from him something new about life; I hope I can teach him some others. I only can say Cristian Morales is the best friend I could ever ask for and I’ll be thankful the rest of my life to see his bright smile as he says “Hello Marianux!”

1 comentario: